Wanna know how I spent the last 7 hours of my day?
- Discovered I had 10,000+ spam comments awaiting moderation. You know, since I’ve neglected this here blog for oh, say, MOST OF 2007!
- Discovered that the server will time out trying to list 10,000+ unapproved comments. I panicked.
- Deleted Blog. I was trying to revert to an old install. Somehow, I thought it was the only way. I told you, I panicked.
- Realized there was, in fact, another way. Actually, it was kind of the only way to fix the comments. So, now, I had deleted 10,000+ comments from the database, but THERE WAS NO LONGER A BLOG.
- Made coffee and toast and debated crying. I passed.
- Managed a clean install 2+ hours later. I even managed a cute trick where I had copied the old database to a temp one, reinstalled WordPress, deleted all the info out of the new WordPress database and then copied the temp one to the new one and PRESTO! OLD BLOG ENTRIES/COMMENTS! I was proud. Except…new blog was still ugly.
- Discovered my computer is a little bitch. Actually, I don’t think it’s HER fault, I think it’s Stuffit’s fault, but either way, I can’t use/reinstall Expander on my Mac.
- Looked at WordPress Theme Code. Debated crying again. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE SHIT MEANS ANYMORE! (I’m an EX web designer, people. EX!)
- Sucked it up and dug in. Hence, the cobbled together design you now see on vibeknits! I took the default theme, copied it and tweaked it. WOOT! It’s plain, but it’s cute and it will do.
So, now I no longer have to look at that ugly, plain, default blog theme that’s been here since May. YAY! Unfortunately, without Stuffit Expander, I can’t install Spam Karma 2 (recommended by the brilliant Casey on Ravelry)!! I will have to check this baby DAILY for comments or the ASSHATS OF SPAM will take over again and I will have to rinse and repeat the above list. Le Suck.
In other, more exciting news, it *appears* as though my knitting drought is OVER! (I had hardly knit more than a baby hat and some wristers in over a YEAR! I was starting to worry I’d *never* get back to it!)
Currently, (along with another baby hat and more wristers, I am knitting this…
…out of this:
Berroco Suede. Black-ish.
I’m pretty sure I owe my recovery all to Ravelry!! YAY Ravelry!!! (if you haven’t checked it out yet, please go NOW.)
I somehow even got Adam to let me teach him how to knit!! I have NO IDEA how this happened, but it was the Most. Fun. EVER!
Concentrating all hard…
I think he’s a natural.
I might have gotten a little excited.
I’m so PROUD!
Sadly, I don’t think it’s gonna stick. I asked him if he was gonna take it home and practice, and his response was something like, “Um…? No?”
He said he just wanted to understand the mechanics of it all.
So, I bound off his 4-row masterpiece for him (since there was no point in teaching him how), and VOILA! His very own FO memento! A Bookmark!
Of course, he *also* said I’d never get him hooked on LOST, which he now kinda is hooked on, so there’s hope…